Hammer steaming

Larry Fisher larryf@pacifier.com
Sat, 27 May 1995 00:47:11 -0700 (PDT)

> >What exactly is clogging up the felt?
>
> Filling the spaces in between the fibers that give them room to move and flex.
>
> >Arent there other chemicals in the felt?
>
> No, that's the beauty of felt it's just pure wool.

Except in the hammers that have been doped with lacquer, sanding sealer,
liquified plastic (acetone and keytop disolved) and a host of other
brighteners.  And what about the stuff that's found naturally on the
floor of the sheep shearing barn....there are those dark spots that
insure freshness you know......

> >I've had such wonderful success using softeners--five years here at
> >IWU--and have seen no adverse effects.  The
> >only results have been making previously un-
> >voicable (honky-tonk) hammers produce nice
> >piano tone.

I write in support of fabric softeners.  Diluted with alcohol 8 parts
alcohol to one part softener, works so nice on hammers that sometimes are
not responsive to anything else.

> I'm convinced that the active ingredient in fabric softeners is the water.
> Experiment with the steam and use what ever works best for you.
>
> David C. Stanwood

David, I'll be happy to try the steam, it sounds like a real exciting way
to treat the hard packed felt of the hammer.  I don't like adding
anything to "clean" felt.  The idea has always bothered me, however, over
the years I've heard about a whole bunch of stuff added to hammers to
make them respond.  I've been using diluted fab softener for about a year
now.  The results last longer than needling alone.  The solution is
applied directly on the striking surface with a hypo-bottle in a very
thin line.  I follow that with the usual needling to open up the hammer
either side of the striking surface.  This makes those "Asian" hammers
sound more American, and also keeps poeple from complaining that they
can't get their PianoDisc unit to play soft enough.  So far, 100% success
and satifaction.  I do like your steam idea though, and I will persue
that option some time in the future.

--- Larry Fisher RPT, Portland Metro's Authority on PianoDisc Systems
        For more information call (360) 256-2999 in Vancouver, Wa.