Oxidized keyleads

Ron Torrella torrella@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu
Sat, 27 May 1995 13:04:45 -0500

On Sat, 27 May 1995, David Porritt wrote:

> I picked up a set of keys yesterday that had grosly expanded key leads due
> to oxidation.  Several of the keys have split due to the increased size of
> the leads.  I'm going to remove them and replace them with new leads.

I guess I wasn't aware that keyleads expanded.  Interesting... Is it
possible that the wood shrank and squeezed the leads to the point that
they look like they're bulging?

> I've never seen leads expand this far before.  They are all under
> excessive pressure.  Does anyone have a favorite methood of removing leads
> this tight without putting additional pressure on the keys.  I don't want
> to split any more keys due to this proceedure.

My favorite method is to take a drillbit that's several sizes smaller than
the lead (a size that would leave 1/8 - 1/4" between bit and wood) and
drill into the lead.  Most of the time just as I get to the other side of
the lead the lead comes spinning out.  Sometimes I just dig out the rest
with an awl -- from the *inside*, careful to not gouge the wood!

Ron Torrella
Registered Piano Technician          Now Open: The Piano Page at Prairienet!
Piano Technicians Guild        http://www.prairienet.org/arts/ptg/homepage.html