Lead weight removal

Newton Hunt nhunt@gandalf.rutgers.edu
Tue, 30 May 1995 08:52:15 -0400 (EDT)

Hi, all and David in Dallas,
      After splitting keys with several removal schemes I finally settled
for pressing them out.  If you have 1/2" weights clamp a board onto the drill
press and drill a 5/8" hole into the board.  Actually it should be a 1x3
drilled off center to allow naturals with the notch down to be possitioned
for removal.
      Use a 3/8" spade bit oriented with the grain of the key to press out
the weight from left to right side of the key.  The weights fall through the
hole in the table to a box resting on the base.
      This is simple, effective and provide the best support to help
prevent splitting.
      Since the keys are already split, work some glue into the splits
before weight removal then clamp togather to restore key integrity.

      I have found that a small arbor press (.5 ton) is the safest means of
replacing key weights.  A nice steady pressure will prevent splitting of keys
and the weights can be swadged with an appropriate tool with splitting keys
as well.

      Hope everything comes out well.

            Newton
            nhunt@gandalf.rutgers.edu