Spittle (was gluing, etc...) -Reply

Ron Torrella torrella@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu
Tue, 30 May 1995 10:34:09 -0500

On Tue, 30 May 1995, Jack Reeves wrote:

> I''m told that firefighters use a product they call "wet water" to put
> out fires in thick things like mattresses.  The product has a lower
> surface tension than water and will immediately sink in rather than
> beading up.  When we use alcohol and water, the purpose for
> the alcohol is to lower the surface tension of the water.  The
> alcohol acts as a carrier for the water.

Two of my brothers are firemen (one just plain old fire, the other
HazMat).  I'll ask the Lieutenant of the two about this just out of
curiosity.  Who knows?  Maybe we can derive something from it for our use!

Ron Torrella
Registered Piano Technician          Now Open: The Piano Page at Prairienet!
Piano Technicians Guild        http://www.prairienet.org/arts/ptg/homepage.html