Plucking strings

Kam544@aol.com Kam544@aol.com
Sun, 01 Oct 1995 09:22:24 -0400

Judith A. Hornberger posted:
>>Pluck a piano string, then play the same note normally.  If the note
sounds better plucked than struck you know there is a problem with the
hammer or action.   If the pluck-struck test test produces similar but
not very good tones you better start looking at the soundboard, bridges,
string terminations, name on fallboard, etc.<<

Dear Judith,

Thank you, thank you!  Because of your post, I now know how to say what I
meant to say.

In a nutshell: Pluck a piano string, then play the same note normally.  If
the note sustains better plucked than struck, you know there is a problem
with the
hammer or action.  Conversely, if the note sustains better when struck than
plucked, than you know there is a problem elsewhere.

Hence the question I was attempting to ask, is there something more that one
can determine by plucking a string only, in determining the potential tone or
voice of a piano?

Keith A. McGavern, RPT
Oklahoma Chapter 731