M&H Screwstringer

Laurence Beach lbeach@sfu.ca
Tue, 03 Oct 1995 09:37:49 -0700 (PDT)

>... I don't think we could
>achieve this kind of control of rotation without friction to help us (ahem)
>cheat. What we do is already nothing short of AMAZING!!
>>
>Bob Davis, RPT

OK, we need friction to 'cheat'.  Why, though, do some piano manufactures
add SO much friction (probably by means of pressure), especially in the
upper-middle range, so that while I try my darndest to equalise the
tension across all friction points, my last blow to set the string drops
the pitch 5 cents?  Incidently, I have found out my ways of compensating
for the problem, but those pianos sure make my life difficult sometimes!

Laurence Beach
Vancouver B.C.