S&S reproduction legs

John Musselwhite musselj@cadvision.com
Tue, 03 Oct 1995 10:41:07 -0600

>We have just obtained an 1891 S&S 6'1" 85 note model A that will be run
>through our shop for a complete rebuild (soundboard included)
>
>Here's my problem.  At some point the original legs were replaced,and the
>replacement legs do not match particularly well. I'm assuming that the
>original legs were rounded victorian types, but I'm not sure.

If it's a "standard" model, the legs consisted of  rounded shoulders
(slightly larger than modern ones), with a partial circle or sheild making
up about 1/4 of the leg attached below. The shield has a fairly-large flower
(sunflower?) carved in it with trailing leaves continuing to the shoulders.
The leg itself was fluted and reduced with turnings top and bottom where it
flared to cover the casters. A drawing from the 1888 catalogue shows some of
the detail, and a reproduction is printed on page 78 of Ratcliffe's
beautiful STEINWAY book. The leg design was patented July 2, 1878 so the
patent documents may show the design better.

>B. Where can I get replacements? (I don't soppuse any of you have a set
>lying around    your shop that you'd be willing to part with...)

S&S currently makes a Victorian-style grand and they may be able to supply
legs for that although they are more in the style of the B,C and D models of
that era. Call Glorie in the parts dept at 1-800-FON-1853 to see if they are
available.

Failing in that there might be a carver around who would be up for the
challenge. I know where there is an unrestored A of that period and you
might be able to get good photos of the legs from the dealer that owns the
piano.

>Thanks in advance for your help.  It would be a shame to put restored piano
>from this era on the floor with modern legs.

I agree. One alternative if you have a good lathe is to make your own legs
for it. They may not be "authentic" but it would be an improvement.

                        John
John Musselwhite, RPT               Calgary, Alberta Canada
musselj@cadvision.com              sysop@67.cambo.cuug.ab.ca