hide glue

GABRIEL ZWIERSKI 75120.1363@compuserve.com
Wed, 04 Oct 1995 06:33:11 -0400 (EDT)

Sorry to keep beating a dead horse, but...
      ...first chance I've had to respond to this
      When I'm using hot glue (I normally use granular or 1st water crushed
sheet), I    normally keep 2 pots going.  The first is full strength (for
veneering and contact gluing) and the second is a mixture of the first with
Franklin Liquid hide glue (and sometimes water) added to retard setup time (and
sometimes strength).  The amount of Franklin's and additional water vary
according to the job.  After a couple of initial experiments I was able to
pretty much eyeball the required amounts needed for various setting times and
strengths needed for the application.
      It behoofs me to add that in a pinch, you can use Knox unflavored
gelatine (don't use Jell-o --- too much sugar !-)

            Gabriel Zwierski
            Finisher/polisher

"No case too hard"