Lester Farme/Capo what?

Jeff Stickney jpage@selway.umt.edu
Wed, 04 Oct 1995 07:21:39 -0600 (MDT)

     I always thought the name "Lester" was synonymous with spinet and=20
other descriptions of demeaning quality - but the other day I actually=20
tuned a console/studio sized piano with the name Lester on it that was no=
=20
worse than most "vintage" pianos of that variety.  However, cast into the=
=20
plate was the typo of all typos - "Custom Farme" (Frame?).  I wonder how=20
many of those plates are out there?  And if the caster still has a job.
     Likewise, as I tuned a Baldwin/Hamilton grand the other day I was=20
studiously studying the plate (what, my mind wander?) I couldn't help but=
=20
notice that the piano had a "Capo Tasto Bar".  Now, I always thought it=20
was Capo D'astro.  Or is astro the name of the dog on the Jetson's?  What=
=20
exactly does Capo D'astro/Tasto mean?  Any Italians out there?  (It's all=
=20
Greek to me.)                                                              =
=20
     And while I'm getting all this out of my system - a little joke. =20
Sung to the appropriate tune - You say Carmina, I say Carmana, You say=20
Burina, I say Burana, Carmina, Carmana, Burina, Burana, Let's call the=20
whole thing *Orff*.  I Gotta go.  Jeff Stickney, RPT University of Montana=
=20
jpage=A6@selway.umt.edu