early techniques for tuning e.t.

Stephen Birkett SBIRKETT@envsci.uoguelph.ca
Wed, 04 Oct 1995 13:11:16 -0400 (EDT)

I'm interested in the development of techniques for tuning equal
temperament (by ear) throughout the 19th C. Specifically:

  A. What methods were used to set equal temperament?
  B. What tests were done to check the temperament?

Include here the rough-and-ready et's, such as "tune all fifths
equal and slightly small" [I've heard of this approach but have no
reference.] More sophisticated methods as they were discoverd. How
did the modern techniques develop and at what time? In fact, what is
most common for setting the temperament in 1995, electronic or by ear
tests/checks? Which tests and checks?

Consider the following two quotes:

1.  J.J. Eigeldinger, Twenty-four Preludes op. 28: genre, structure,
    significance, in: Chopin Studies, Ed. J. Samson, Cambridge
    University Press, 1988, p.184

    " As a final act of elegance on Chopin's part, the left-hand
      ostinato of no. 24 highlights the fifth D-A, the traditional
      test of equal temperament tuning!"

2.  Chopin, letter to Fontana, 18 August 1848

    " All those with whom I was in most intimate harmony
      have died out and left me. Even Ennike [who worked for
      Pleyel] our best tuner has gone and drowned himself,
      and so I have not in the whole world a piano tuned to suit me"

What is this `traditional test D-A'? And when did it become
`traditional'... surely not in Chopin's time. No. 2 is ambiguous as
it stands alone: did Chopin lament the death of his tuner because
only this person could tune the special (non-equal) temperament he
loved...or was it because Ennike had the special skills necessary to
tune a really fine e.t.... or were tuners so few and far between at
this time that the loss of Ennike meant Chopin would have to find
another tuner (perhaps he didn't have the strength to tune his own
piano at this time)...the contradictory possibilities go on. Without
other evidence it seems impossible to conclude much concrete on this
quote.

Anyone have anything solid on this topic?

Stephen Birkett (Fortepianos)
Authentic Reproductions of 18th and 19th Century Pianos
Waterloo, Ontario, Canada
tel: 519-885-2228
fax: 519-763-4686