Aggressive players

Wippen@aol.com Wippen@aol.com
Thu, 05 Oct 1995 09:56:19 -0400

Keith McGavern wrote:
>>I have an aggressive player who is breaking bass strings on a >>studio size
>> piano located in a church sanctuary..........
>>a 6' grand
>> or larger as there would be less chance of string breakage >>occurring
because
> >of an aggressive player.
Ken Hale responded:
>I certainly would not put my advise on the line and say that a
>larger grand will be less or more prone to breaky strings, if >played
>by the same pianist.

I would tend to agree with Ken. There is always a "Conan,the Concertizer" who
will beat the flinders out of even a high quality piano given enough time.
New hammers WILL harden prematurely under these "thunder touch" fingers. And
strings will thin out at the V-bar or agraffe because of unreasonable
excursion at fffff with the sustain pedal crammed into the firewall. Shoot
the piano player:)

Paul Dempsey
Marshall University
wippen@aol.com