Lester Farme/Capo what?

Israel Stein istein@world.std.com
Thu, 05 Oct 1995 15:28:17 +0059 (EDT)

On Wed, 4 Oct 1995, Jeff Stickney wrote:

>      Likewise, as I tuned a Baldwin/Hamilton grand the other day I was=20
> studiously studying the plate (what, my mind wander?) I couldn't help but=
> =20
> notice that the piano had a "Capo Tasto Bar".  Now, I always thought it=20
> was Capo D'astro.  Or is astro the name of the dog on the Jetson's?  What=
> =20
> exactly does Capo D'astro/Tasto mean?  Any Italians out there?  (It's all=
> =20
> Greek to me.)                                                              =

I am not an Italian. But I am familiar with some organological Italian
terminology. So...
The correct term is Capo Tasto. Tasto in Italian means "fret" ( you know
- frets, those things that go accross a guitar's neck). Capo means "head".
Capo Tasto therefore means Head Fret, Chief Fret or maybe Big Fret. Which
is what a capo bar is - a big fret accross the strings. "Capo d'Astro"
appears to be some sort of meaningless nice-sounding nonsense phrase -
Astro meaning "star" - that suggests some sort of "celestial" quality
imparted by a particular piano feature (the Capo Tasto). In other words,
marketing BS.

Israel Stein