hammer voicing solutions

Laurence Beach lbeach@sfu.ca
Fri, 06 Oct 1995 10:04:01 -0700 (PDT)

>As a college tech, I prefer to stick to original replacement hammers on
>intitutional instruments.  The main reason is that I think a Steinway should
>sound like a Steinway and a Baldwin should sound like a Baldwin, rather than
>a Baldwin w/ Steinway hammers (or any other combination that you would like
>to come up with.)  Further, I prefer, given a choice, to stick with a tone
>quality somewhat representative of a particular line of instruments rather
>than trying to make one brand sound like another or making all brands sound
>the same.  This gives the students the opportunity to become familiar with
>the different brands rather than with something that they probably aren't
>going to run into out there in the "real world."  Of course on rebuilds where
>we are trying to acheive the best possible result we will use whatever seems
>to work the best for that particular instrument.
>
>Just my humble opinion and experiences.
>
>Allan Gilreath
>Gilreath Piano & Organ Co.
>Berry College
>Gilreath@aol.com

That's fine for Yamaha, Baldwin, S&S, etc, but what about something like
Willis?  My inclination is to go with Renner, but I'm always concerned
about the tonal results.

Also, what about music wire? (for bass strings)  As far as I know, German
Copper is the best.  And does anyone know the address?

Laurence Beach
Vancouver BC