Lil Betsy Ross (Lester)

Gordon Wilson gwilson@prairienet.org
Sat, 07 Oct 1995 11:31:30 -0500 (CDT)

On Thu, 5 Oct 1995 FREDIEBOY@aol.com wrote:

> A little history ..The Lester Piano Co. was named after the small town in was
> in just outside of Philadelphia. It was started in 1860. I believe. It was a
> truly great piano. It was the piano used by the philadelphia Orchestra. they
> made wonderfull grands. like all piano companys they had financial
> problems during the depression. they just about stoped their grand production
> and went with the Betsy Ross Spinet. It sold for $245, which included the
> bench and delivery. It was made fun of for years, but I feel it has proven to
> be a wonderful piano. Almost trouble free. It has very good soundboard. Last
> but not least those plastic elbows put both my kids through collage.....nite
> all      fredieboy

I was a fan and acquaintance of Eugene Ormandy in the good old days.  I
well remember the program notes: "The official piano of the Philadelphia
Orchestra is the Lester".

Early plastic action parts were used by everybody (almost) in the 40's.
Isn't it fun to watch them disintigrate!  Of course we now replace the
hard butter yellow ones with "space age plastic"; right?

When you put your kids through a <collage> was it plastic? Head first?
Just kidding...I couldn't resist. ;->

Gordon Wilson
Urbana, Illinois