ants go out

John Delacour eremita@bournemouth-net.co.uk
Tue, 10 Oct 1995 09:26:43 -0100

At 1:02 10.10.95, Benjamin Treuhaft wrote:
 |: item with my shipment of pianos, parts and tools:  "a compressor to
 |: make void and to inject quimical substances to kill the comegen (he
 |: means carpenter ants I think).  We know that there are modern and cheap
 |: technicals in use at the museums and I think we can adapt these
 |: equipments to fumigate uprights and grand pianos with nylon cartouches
 |: to wrap them."
 |:      Does anyone grok this?

Ben,

  What I do here in England to kill furniture beetle is ship the piano to
  Rentokil in London where they have special chambers for fumigation.  The
  chemicals used (cynanide, I think) are of course dead deadly.  They lock
  all the things in the chambers over the weekend.  It would probably be
  best to have them build a brick or concrete chamber and have a procedure
  that make sure everyone is safe - like five miles away - while the poison
  is active.

  Any direct application or injection of liquid chemicals makes a terrible
  mess of pianos in my experience and is time-consuming and not always
  effective.

        John

Delacour Piano Services - 34 Station Road, Parkstone
Poole - Dorset BH14 8UD - England  +44 1202 731031
Bass String Manufacturer - Piano Technician