Was: Dolge Stuff

Dennis Johnson johnsond@stolaf.edu
Tue, 10 Oct 1995 13:34:06 -0500

        "There is an analogy between the felt business today and what it
will be and the steel business today and what it used to be. The Steel
business use to be a question of the individual absolutely. The men in
charge of heat treating judged the temperatures by their eye. As a result
you never got a quality of steel that you could absolutely bank on. After
the installation of pyrometers, where everything was handled mechanically,
individual opinion was thrown aside. From that time on the steel business
began to rise. The same thing I think will be true in the felt business.
Now it is a question a individual opinion. We have no working standard.
Every manufacturer makes up the product according to his own opinion."

                                                 George Lisk
                                                 May 1, 1918

Some things never change.

Dennis Johnson