Tuning in 1895

FRED W TREMPER f.trempe@morehead-st.edu
Thu, 12 Oct 1995 19:07:10 -0400 (EDT)

On Thu, 12 Oct 1995, John Musselwhite wrote:

> The quality of the technicians will rise as well. We've seen that in the
> last 25 years and there is no sign of that easing. We as technicians know
> more about the piano than the manufacturers did 100 years ago!
>
>                 John
> John Musselwhite, RPT               Calgary, Alberta Canada
> musselj@cadvision.com              sysop@67.cambo.cuug.ab.ca

John and Everybody:
I think what you say is true: the quality of our work will steadily
improve as new members join the profession and enjoy the benefit of
tuition of older tuners, which wasn't always available in the past.

At least in the PTG this will occur; and I think it is due to the test
that was created by Al Sanderson, Jim Coleman Sr., Don Morton, and Ron Berry
(see the historical section of the exam manual that was published by PTG).
As time passes, to become an RPT will require a more rigorous demonstration
of ability, not the old-boy network of years past.

I think, too, that it is rare that a single individual can be pointed out
as one who made an instrumental change in the way of an entire
profession.  I am speaking of Al Sanderson.  He has done as much--if not
more--than any one person to increase the competence of our membership.
He did it by creating a method by which a person can be
judged--objectively--on his or her abilities.  Hats off to All Sanderson!

Another point (and this is for PTG membership): right now something like
36% of our membership is unqualified; that is they have not taken the
battery of tests to prove competence.  Until then it is difficult for us
to call ourselves an organization of professional piano technicians.  Let
me immediately excuse those Associates who are on an RPT track, and there
are many of them.

There is more to say on the subject, but enough for now.

Fred W. Tremper

Fred W. Tremper, RPT
Morehead State University
Morehead, KY 40351