A portable lid-prop

Thomas D. Seay, III t.seay@mail.utexas.edu
Sun, 15 Oct 1995 11:54:09 -0500

>Mark is right - grands do sound a bit constipated in the treble with
>the lid down.  Would someone please invent a lidstick as long as an
>index finger which would lift the lid a bit without hurting the finish
>of the rim or the plate and wouldn't cause the trophies to slide off
>the lid?  A portable lid-prop, I mean.
>ben treuhaft
>SendaPianatoHavana

Ben,

Vocalists at our school requested the very same thing from us, i.e., that
they be able to prop the lid open just a few inches.

We took a 2x4, cut it into 8 inch lengths, painted the pieces black and
glued green vertical hammer rest cloth on the ends of each piece. Put the
block in the piano (next to the existing prop) and lower the lid until the
bottom of the lid contacts the top felted surface of the block. They're
pretty ugly, but they work.

Regards,

Tom Seay
t.seay@mail.utexas.edu