To all re PTG (long)

Vince Mrykalo REEVESJ@ucs.byu.edu
Sun, 15 Oct 1995 18:30:56 +0000 (MST7MDT)

  Regarding Richard West's message re PTG:
  Of course PTG has always welcomed new members to its ranks, and
  always will.  And sure, PTG has had education of its members as a top
  priority, and will always have that as a priority.  But to suggest
  that Ernie Juhn is against that, is to show ignorance of the stands
  he takes.  Now, education for the green beginner was never
  the goal of PTG for its first 20 or so years of its existence, but it was
  always a priority for members who already have a basic understanding
  of piano technology.
  Richard, are the pot shots you have taken mean you also have a narrow
  viewpoint, a grudge, or are just a meany? :/)
  What follows are a few facts and one man's opinion.  It deserves our scrutiny and
  consideration.

  >           THE TRUTH, THE WHOLE TRUTH AND NOTHING BUT THE TRUTH
  >          A NEWSLETTER FOR PTG MEMBERS WHO WANT TO KNOW THE FACTS.
  >        Edited, written, paid for and distributed by Ernie Juhn, RPT.
  >
  > In  recent years a lot has happened in our organization. Some will say to the
  > better, others will say to the worse. One thing is sure, a lot less factual
  > information has been distributed to the membership. Members have rarely been
  > given the chance to express their feelings since the regular distribution of the
  > "Gray pages" has been discontinued under the presidency of Fern Henry.
  > This little paper is not brought into life for the purpose of convincing anyone
  > to think like I do. My opinions are widely known and often misunderstood.
  > Occasionally I have been also misquoted and that is what disturbs me a little. I
  > pledge that whatever I write will be as close to facts as humanly possible. If I
  > express my own opinions, I will clearly state so. Why am I doing this? Simply
  > because I honestly believe that those who make major decisions are not informed
  > well enough and consequently not equipped well enough to make these decisions.
  > Our system is set up in a most democratic and ideal way. In fact, the slogan for
  > many past PTG conventions was "See Democracy In Action". I feel that it is
  > crucial for our delegates to be well informed. It is also crucial for our Board
  > members to be well informed and be responsible for their actions. There is no
  > room for slanted statistics, misleading statements or double talk. No, we are
  > not professional politicians. We should not have to worry about being outsmarted
  > by another member who is a better "amateur politician". It should not be a
  > question of who can "manipulate" people better.
  >
  > The development of a "curriculum" by PTG. It seems that this is something that
  > was presented by Board, voted on by council and the result is that we now have a
  > "Vertical Regulation Curriculum". It was reported that "..The number of schools
  > is shrinking, while small enrollments put others in jeopardy..." (Resolution on
  > educational goals by Leon Speir, delegates book 1995). Facts: I made it my
  > business to speak with proprietors of some major schools in the USA and Canada.
  > The Randy Potter School is doing well but Randy fears that in the long run, PTG
  > is going to hurt not only his school, but the industry as well. He said that he
  > regularly has technicians come up to him at conventions, or call him on the
  > phone and whenever he suggests they take a course, they say "Oh, I don't need to
  > take a course, I am taking the PACE program". But the biggest problem in his
  > opinion, is what this attitude is doing to PTG's reputation. "We are becoming an
  > organization of part-time hobbyists who think it is okay to do sub-standard
  > work. They are spoon-fed some sort of pseudo-education in one -and two-hour bits
  > a month, instead of studying diligently to become professional piano
> [...]

---
vince mrykalo  rpt

If you are not enjoying your work, you are not charging enough.
-Vic Benvenuto