YOU ASKED FOR IT.

Ernest Juhn 71341.1370@compuserve.com
Mon, 16 Oct 1995 01:45:48 -0400 (EDT)

YOU ASKED FOR IT.

First let me say that I did not know that I was such an important person to
create this kind of a "commotion".  I had no intentions to do that.  In fact,
the objective was to keep the messages down to some kind of a reduced volume
because it occupies so much time to read all of them. Little did I know that I
opened a "can of worms". But since so many of you reacted - I feel  compelled to
reply.
First thanks to those who complimented me as well as those who voiced
constructive criticism. The remarks including personal overtones which are
hardly objective, I will ignore.

TO BENJAMIN TREUHAFT: The message appeared as I wrote it, I am glad you
deciphered the one about self censorship!
TO TOM THOMPSON: I know of MANY "old" members who did retake the test just for
fun. I might tell you that I decided during one of the conventions at which I
was institute director (a lot of work!) to try for CTE. (Certified Tuning
Examiner). I was tired, and it was late at night and I wanted to see if I could
make it. (fast, cold, without preparation etc). I flunked it but, barely!. You
might want to know that the last time I got involved in one of these "political"
discussions was when a "prominent" teacher and writer in PTG  spoke up for the
"Pace" program and in the same message declared that all his knowledge comes
from attending classes at PTG conventions. At the same time there was also a
discussion going on about old timers being grand fathered into remaining RPTs.
Here is part of what I posted on 11/21/94:

...I certainly feel that bringing things into the open should be a welcome
opportunity. Those who believe that criticism is equal to complaining and
complainers should be stopped from expressing their opinion, can always withdraw
from the discussion. They can of course, continue to benefit from everything
that the Guild has to offer without contributing themselves.
But, there were always those who tried to keep membership at the highest
possible level. In fact some of our most successful teachers and writers got
(admittedly) almost all of their education during times when we did not have the
PACE program, the "home study course Journal" nor the crash course convention!
They received their education from instructors who were later "grand fathered"
into remaining RPTs..
Finally, I am asking. Should PTG continue to keep on drifting away from the
original concept by neglecting the advanced technician in favor of educating new
people in the field or, should the organization leave the teaching to schools
and concentrate on what it was intended to be when founded. It grew from a mere
few hundred members to a respected, prestigious organization with over 3000
members.
At this point I would like to emphasize that PTG has ALWAYS gained members -
REGULARLY! That is why we have all these members.
On the other hand, PTG has had a few financial "downs".  From time to time
various groups or individuals wanted PTG to go into the school business. That
inevitably caused problems. PREDICTABLY!
I will admit that IN CERTAIN AREAS (only) there is a shortage of
tuner-technicians. PTG is however not only a national but an international
organization. It has obligations to it's members - all it's members not to those
who may want to become tuner-technicians.
Ernie Juhn >

TO BOB KIDDELL: Tuner-technician organizations in other countries. Japan,
England, Germany, Switzerland and many more require a tuning test in order to
belong! We are unique! We are also unique among professional organizations -
even in the US.  I have yet to come across a professional organization that
teaches beginners fundamental knowledge in the field.
To my knowledge RPTs hardly ever do refuse to help associate members as well as
non-members! I have offered numerous times to give all the help I can to those
who need it (in my chapter and outside). By the way, I just returned from the
NYSCON seminar in Toronto where I enjoyed speaking to a lot of Canadian
technicians.

TO DENNIS JOHNSON: I often wanted to send in my 5 cents worth, however it seems
that there is no need to do that since there are some rather well versed
technicians on this list, more than qualified to answer most questions.  As far
as concealed frustration is concerned, I can understand your thoughts. I assure
you that they do not apply in my case. I have had plenty of glory in PTG,
including all possible awards from golden hammer to dirty napkin, there were
times when my name appeared in every Journal printed and I was institute
director more often than anyone. On the other hand -  "hope to hear from you
more often Ernie".. seems that all I have to do is send in one "harmless" little
message and the list is running hot. So..

 TO JOHN MUSSELWHITE: Right you are, if you are not a citizen you can not vote
-- (although the new world is working on changes in that direction too.) I don't
really like to pay taxes - but unfortunately they voted those in.. against my
will..
The truth is that I believe very strongly in the minimum standard exams PTG is
using presently and those who resort to any kind of excuse for not taking it
(other than just not being ready) should be doubted.

TO ISRAEL STEIN: Bravo! Let's call the child by its proper name.  Like "Grand
fathered RPT"  "Unqualified Member" etc..  (The grand fathered kind could be
people like Defebaugh, Victor Jackson, Danny Boone, Al Sanderson etc. -- Some of
them may well have taken the latest test recently!).

TO RICHARD WEST: "Ernie Juhn assumed that PTG General Council lacked facts..".
No, I did not assume anything - what makes Richard think that? I KNOW,  that is
why I sent out a one page information sheet to all 1995 council delegates,
revealing some facts.  I certainly consider myself as progressive and willing to
share knowledge as many. In fact I have been doing just that for over 30 years.
If that makes me a "good ole boy" -- I am proud to be one.  I believe that when
it comes to sharing information, that has been my trademark ever since I joined
PTG.  In fact, many of those who produce some of the now widely available
material, admittedly received their education from people who Richard would
consider "good ole boys". Comparing PTG to Elks or Masons does not quite apply.
PTG is a PROFESSIONAL organization! I have not heard of  any plumbers
organization printing home study manuals for beginners, nor did my dentist ever
order dentures from a dental technician who purchased his knowledge for $ 29.95.

Finally, who is to say that PTG is on the right track? I know that in spite of
all the pushing and shoving the RPT/ASSOCIATE ratio is worse than ever. I can
not see any incentive (other than the ego trip) to upgrade. The efforts to give
associate members voting rights continue and soon it will mean nothing to
belong.

TO GREG HUDAK: Thanks for reading what I REALLY wrote!

TO BARNEY RICCA: I agree with you about the fact that sooner or later almost all
pianos used in the "MEDIA" will be of the electronic kind, however there will
always be the concert artist etc, etc.   NOW, continuing this theory, there is
even less reason to mass produce tuner-technicians! INDEED! By the way, this
"ole boy"  here at the age of 71 did not stand still and is fully capable of
servicing electronic instruments.

Final word. Sorry about the long winded reply. REMEMBER,  all I wanted to do is
to make it EASIER for busy people to read all these messages...
YOU guys made it an issue - I did not!  It almost seems that some people are
just waiting in the wings for me to say something - anything -  and they will
take the opportunity to mention that on May 35, 1814 Ernie Juhn spit on the
sidewalk.  How sad.  "End of sermon"  (Richard West)
Ernie Juhn  RPT

PS. TO VINCE MRYKALO: Thank you for writing what you did, as well as printing my
"THE TRUTH..."
That was the paper I referred to above. I did not want to use up time and space
here to include it --  after all I was the one who asked to cut down  on some of
that..
Seems that there is more interest in PTG  stuff than I thought, In fact I am
happy about that. Maybe some of the hard core "sheep" will begin to deal in
facts for a change.  Incidentally, having been on the PTG board for 4 terms as
RVP and later institute director for 6 conventions, I am fairly immune to "pot
shots" , unfounded insults and accusations. Sooner or later people have to deal
with the truth -- even if it does not fit into their "dream-world".

A man convinced against his will
is of the same opinion still
(Alexander Pope).

 HUMOR SECTION.

 A person convinced against his or her will
 is of the same opinion still.  ( translated by Ernie Juhn)
(Alexander Pope just rotated 180 degrees in his grave - he was a good ole boy)

Oh, TO BENJAMIN TREUHAFT: The empty space below is so small because it is
compressed. Use your secret programo decompressione made for afinadori de
pianos..