Metric wire breakage

ATodd@UH.EDU ATodd@UH.EDU
Fri, 20 Oct 1995 15:26:48 -0500 (CDT)

   If this subject has not already been "beat to death" in the recent past,
I need some input on the longeavity (sp?) of metric wire over american on
pianos in a heavy use situation; i.e. a piano teacher's studio.
   I have a S & S 'B' that was totally rebuilt several years ago, using metric
wire. App. 1 year ago the top two sections were restrung because of excessive
string breakage. Now in the last two days 3 strings have broken. There had
already been a couple before these.
   On our Hamburg 'D', app. 8-9 yrs. old, I have had to restring the top two
sections for the same reason. I have had a limited amount of experience with
metric wire in heavy use situations, until now, and am wondering if this is ]
normal or would american wire last better or does it really make any
difference?
   Any comments based on your experiences would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Avery Todd
University of Houston
atodd@uh.edu