Tech training

Kam544@aol.com Kam544@aol.com
Fri, 20 Oct 1995 23:49:34 -0400

Lloyd Schultz posted:
>>...wondering what is
the typical "track" that people take toward being independent in this
profession, toward becoming an RPT and so on?...<<

As for me it began with the death of my Dad.  I inherited a university with
an inventory of 80 pianos for my first account.  He had shared with me the
principles of tuning.

Later I read all the published materials while learning by trial and error.
 Next came chapter meetings, seminars, and conventions by associating with
PTG members and applying that information to my territory.

Eventually came the examinations to qualify for the Registered Piano
Technician (RPT) title.  Some folks seem to believe the title, RPT, may not
mean much, but to my customers, it means everything for them to know I submit
to a body of professional peers, and that is what makes it completely
worthwhile.

Without a doubt the entrance of the Piano Technicians Guild into my life was
the definitive difference between mediocre piano service and professional
piano service.

"And the beats go on."

Keith A. McGavern, RPT
Oklahoma Chapter 731