An Observation

Jim_Harvey@yca.ccmail.compuserve.com Jim_Harvey@yca.ccmail.compuserve.com
Sat, 21 Oct 1995 03:49:10 -0400 (EDT)

     My turn, my turn!

     Keith (and others),

     It's not a consideration of how much per month you pay to AOL (or
     other) service. The matter being discussed here is:

     1. Wading through two or three (screen) pages of quotes, including
     kludge, tag, signature lines, as well as net routing information. All
     of these clutter up a screen, all add to storage and handling
     (transfer) overhead throughout the system, and everyone gets to pay,
     both sooner and later.

     2. It is preferable, and sometimes important to maintain enough
     information in quoted material to provide linkages, or 'threads', back
     to the original information. It is not necessary to quote chapter and
     verse, including all the stuff mentioned above. Doing so adds to the
     'expense' factor, even though this expense it is in a subtle and
     invisible form -- kinda like carbon monoxide! A wise and considerate
     user will take the time to strip this extra baggage out of quoted
     material.

     3. I am subject to the same AOL costs as you. However, by living here
     in Hooterville, I do not have a local host number to call. That means
     that I have the additional costs in long distance charges to
     send/receive mail. Every minute (or moment) than I can shave off those
     charges is to my benefit.

     4. There is the matter of local storage. After reading, I maintain a
     'library' of the interesting messages, for current or future
     reference. I already have the original thread in a 'folder'. All I
     have to do is add any responses to the same folder. I don't need the
     redundancy of lots of quoted material.

     5. To give you an example, I'm going to intentionally occupy bandwidth
     to demonstrate the differences in this reply (with apologies to the
     rest of the list). The first item below the _____Reply Separator_____
     below is message, unedited and full of junk... the results of my
     simply issuing the 'Reply' request to my editor. The second example is
     my idea of the minimum needed to maintain threading, reduced costs...
     and sanity.

     Jim Harvey