A New One On Me

Ron Berry ronberry@iquest.net
Sun, 22 Oct 1995 20:12 -0500 (EST)

>           Any of you have the pleasure of coming across one of these little
>beasties?......what planet do they hale from?????
>Truly a "FRANKENSTEIN" of the industry........I've never seen so many parts
>from different pianos thrown together in one case.
>Maybe the name was........NORNOR.......C'YA......Daleboy

I have seen a couple of uprights that were cut off across the bottom to make
them shorter.  Since the bass hitch pins were in the part of the plate that
was removed, a new steel plate was welded on with and had hitch pins.  Then
since the bass bridge would have been chopped off too it was taken loosse
and moved.  Now moving it up on the plate means that the gap in the plate
was not there so they cut off the body of the bridge for part of it and ran
the cap over the plate strut then had a "sound post" on the other side to
hold it up.  (Great violins have soundposts don't they?)   One of these jobs
even had rescaled the tenor section with new wound strings since they had
been shortened as well as the bass strings.  Whoever did the job actually
knew something about pianos.  But why would anyone who knew something about
pianos do such a horrible thing to a piano?  I gues if people wanted spinets
and they weren't available, then the next best thing was to make one.!!

Ron
Ron Berry, RPT (Registered Piano Technician)
ronberry@iquest.net
Indianapolis, IN
Check out the Piano Page at http://www.prairienet.org/arts/ptg/homepage.html
for some great information and links about pianos!