Tech training

Dan Squire djws@hti.net
Mon, 23 Oct 1995 21:35:22 -0500

      My track was really different.  After several years of tuning and
rebuilding pianos I decided to get a degree in Mechanical Engineering.  The
pain, suffering, sacrifice, and monetary loss was incredible.  Getting a
formal engineering degree was the best decision I ever made; it compliments
my desire to learn about pianos more than anything I have ever done.  The
only problem the formal engineering training has given me is the degrading
and unprofessional remarks I get from a few jealous RPTs.  I just laugh them
off as insignificant.
      I must commend each piano technician that makes the enormous sacrifice to
obtain a formal education, whatever the degree might be in.  Your sacrifice
will only strengthen the piano industry.  Going to conventions and monthly
guild meeting is nowhere enough to get the education necessary to compete in
the modern market place.  Go to a university or trade school.  Never let
anyone discourage you from doing so.  Especially don't let any RPT who
claims to be competent discourage your efforts to improve yourself outside
of the PTG circle.

Dan Squire
Houston, TX