Steinway boards

Stephen Birkett SBIRKETT@envsci.uoguelph.ca
Wed, 25 Oct 1995 14:33:44 -0400 (EDT)

Re: John Musselwhite's reply

Thanks John...You did more than a stab <g>!

Your information is very complete. Sounds like the people at North
Hudson were exaggerating quite a bit...they probably *occasionally*
ship a complete panel to Steinway. I think Mr Snyder over-reacted
though!

Last soundboard I made for a 1790 fortepiano I used a 2x12 ceiling
joist. Came out great...only cost me $12. The current conception of
"perfection" for soundboards is a 20th Century invention. BTW Sitka's
definitely too stiff and stringy for fortepianos.

Stephen Birkett (Fortepianos)
Authentic Reproductions of 18th and 19th Century Pianos
Waterloo, Ontario, Canada
tel: 519-885-2228
fax: 519-763-4686