key wood problems

Barb Richmond brichmon@titan.iwu.edu
Wed, 25 Oct 1995 14:30:50 -0500 (CDT)

On Wed, 25 Oct 1995 ATodd@UH.EDU wrote:

>    I have a Yamaha vertical that, somehow, got several keys up above the
> keypins. The tops of these pins come to a fairly sharp edge and when the keys
> were pushed back down the pin got in between the bushing and the wood. This
> has cause some wood damage in the bushing hole. I've steamed out the bushings
> and cleaned out the pieces of wood fragments in the hole. Now, looking down
> at the holes, I have a slight U-shape instead of a flat surface to which to
> glue the busings on one side.

Avery,

Several years ago I bought DAP Wood Trim (veneer 8' x 13/16", used for
edging shelves, cabinets, tables & crafts) at the local Ace Hardware.
I cut *little* shims and glued them in the keys using tite
bond.  I used one end of a toothpick to put the glue in the key and the
other end to position the shim in place.  I've used this method when I
have followed bushing jobs where a lot of wood was taken out with the
bushings (so I don't have to use *really* thick cloth).

Barbara Richmond
Illinois Wesleyan University
Bloomington, Illinois
brichmon@titan.iwu.edu