Bridges: Chew on this

David Porritt dporritt@post.cis.smu.edu
Fri, 27 Oct 1995 21:02:17 -0500 (CDT)

On Wed, 25 Oct 1995 Jim_Harvey@yca.ccmail.compuserve.com wrote:

>      Thanks guys. This is interesting, but it's not the question as I
>      understood it from the article excerpt.
>
>      IOW, it wasn't whether bridge *pins* were angled. Instead it involved
>      the angle the *string* took in crossing the bridge. If you are looking
>      down on the top of the bridge, does the string dog-leg to the left or
>      the right as it crosses over?

The direction of the stagger determines which way the pins slant.  If the
strings stagger left to right the pins in front will angle toward the
center of the bridge and the ones on the back will also.  If the strings
stagger from right to left, the pins (front and back) will angle to the
outside of the bridge.  It would seem that aiming to the middle of the
bridge would be stronger than the other way.

Am I picturing this right?

Dave Porritt
SMU - Dallas