Blocked action -Reply

Jack Reeves reevesj@BYUGATE.byu.edu
Tue, 31 Oct 1995 13:00:12 -0700

>>> <RalphBl@aol.com> 10/31/95 10:34am >>>
I have a Howard grand - the action - I tried to remove it  but the
treble end will not budge.
Ralph Black  RalphBl@aol.com
Ralph, Rick Florence suggested checking the bolts holding the
treble leg and I agree.  I came to a Yamaha G2.  The front legs
used long bolts, the back leg used even longer lag screws (with
a heavy wood-screw-type thread).  The movers had used a lag
screw on the front leg. It went  through the t-nut that holds the
bolts on, up against the bottom of the action and raised the
action until it was jammed against the pinblock, and kept on
turning until the lag screw sheared off in the t-nut.  I tried drilling
into what was left of the lag screw and removing with an easyout,
but no luck, so I had to remove the keybed.  Fortunately it was
not glued on, only screws and guide dowels.  Good luck.

Jack
jack_reeves@byu.edu