Transposing Piano

Rob Kiddell atonal@planet.eon.net
Thu, 08 Aug 1996 19:07:51 +0000

Jim

	We had a Heintzman Transposer come through our shop in 1988. It was
54" high, and, as you say, about a foot wider than normal. Typical
Heintzman agraffe system, cast into the plate. But the sound!   We
had more customers comment on the richness and clarity of the sound
than any other instrument in the store, and *then* we showed them the
transposing feature!  Larger soundboard area?  Possibly, as the
strings were no longer than normal.
	Biggest problem with the piano was keeping the regulation constant
when transposing the keybed. We went with extra-dense wippen cusion
felt and back rail cloth to keep the capstans at roughly the same height note
for note. Found out in 1991 that the instrument had been dropped off
the back of a moving truck. Tried to track down the owner, but they
had moved. Cried for a week.

Rob Kiddell
C.A.P.T. Student
P.T.G. Associate