1930's WURLITZER

Jim pianotoo@IMAP2.ASU.EDU
Thu, 01 Aug 1996 12:21:22 -0700 (mst)

On Thu, 1 Aug 1996, Cliff Maurer wrote:

> I would like to reiterate a question that I asked back in June. I don't
> recall reading any replys or comments. So, I'll ask again.
>  ------I just acquired a 6' 10" Wurlitzer Grand that is in so -so condition.
> I beleive this instrument was made in about 1930. Upon removal of the action
> ,I looked in underneath the plate and discovered there was no pinblock. In
> it's place are individual machine set screws. It seems to me that I've heard
> of this before in some discussion of pinblock/plate designs but have never
> come across this before in all my years as a piano tech.
>         The tuning pins all seem to be in pretty good shape. There are a few
> that could be a little tighter.
>         If I were to restore this instrument what are some of the problems
> that I might run into? If someone has worked on one of these before I would
> really like to have some insight on what I might be getting into.
>                         Thanks, again.
>                                         Cliff Maurer
>

>From Jim Coleman

I have seen their system which used pins which were set in the plate with
no pin block.  This particular version had pins which were split with a
wedge inserted in the split.  A light tap on the wedge in back was used
to tighten the tuning pin if necessary.

This system was discarded because of the problems involving rust and
corrosion.

You might want to look at your particular system to see if it was dis-
carded perhaps for the same reason.  Of course, cost could be another
reason for discontinuance just like it was for the M&H screwstringers.

Jim Coleman, Sr.