Grand keys too short?

Steven Moore markj@ix.netcom.com
Fri, 02 Aug 1996 15:49:17 -0400

At 03:17 PM 8/2/96 -0400, you wrote:

>While doing some repairs, minor reconditioning, and regulation on a 1926
>Armstrong 4' 10" grand (with bass sustain instead of a sostenuto),

>the dampers worked for years because the 1/4" thick lifter felts extended
>past the key wood about 1/16" and didn't fail until recently.  I am
>considering extension of all keylengths by about 3/8" by glueing small
>blocks of wood, or pieces of veneer before glueing in new felt on each
>keystick.  This will involve some time and damper reregulation.  Am I

Fred
 I'm all for fixing problems to be in better condition than factory but if
something has worked for 70 years and would take "some time and damper..."
to make it truely correct, I'd vote for replacing the felt with the same
thickness and size. Less labour time and it will probably be a 70 year fix.
Unless your worried about "call backs" in seventy years. :)

 Steven Moore
 Greenville, SC