Tuning in an Acoustically-Challenged Venue

Wimblees@aol.com Wimblees@aol.com
Sat, 03 Aug 1996 17:05:32 -0400

List.

About 15 years ago I did a lot of work for the Mississippi River Festival,
whicha featured a lot of the top groups, including The Gratefull Dead, the
BeGees, etc. Tuning those pianos was always a challenge, and I used the
earphones every chance I got, and as Jeff said, the beats come through loud
and clear.

My biggest "thrill" was tuning for the Dead. I had 30 minutes between the
sound check and the concert. I didn't use the earphones, but had the speaker
next to me. When I got done, I got a loud repsonse from the almost 10,000
spectators. The piano was miked not to just me, but also out to the audience.
I don't know if they applauded because I did such a fnatstic job, or becuase
they were glad I was done.

Willem Blees  RPT.