What I think

DAN G. LITWIN 71213.1421@CompuServe.COM
Sat, 03 Aug 1996 18:44:55 -0400 (EDT)

Sorry to continue with politics, but I will not relent...

Barrie Heaton say that Piano Technician licensing laws won't be bad.  After
all...

>this works perfectly well in the UK. already with the medical prefession
>Dentists, Vets, and Gas Fitters, so there is no reason why the rest of
>the prefessions and tradesmen cannot be the same.

1) The practical aspect:

I don't know much about your country, but my US experience leads me to doubt
that your situation has been so fine.  For in the US, when the licensing of
doctors occurred (1910 thru 1920), a FULL HALF of the medical schools were
CLOSED DOWN.  And wouldn't you know it - only the American Medical Association
(AMA) style schools (allopathy) stayed open.  And of course, in 1910 the AMA had
the biggest lobby.  So all the others were shut down until 80 years later when
they are now politically strong enough to have made a come-back.  These include
chiropractors, herbologists, homeopathic doctors, holistic doctors, acupuncture,
etc. To this day, politics chooses what medicine we can have.  Absurd!

No one needs laws to have the AMA certify their doctors.  They only need laws to
outlaw the competition and raise prices.  I repeat.  Politicians will play games
with the rules.  They don't care about pianos.  Only about power.

2) The moral aspect:

No one has the right to make choices for others.  You have the right to choose
for yourself only.  Any "reasonable" examples you have are simply examples of
brute force, because that's the only reason to use government - to force others
to do something your way.  The peaceful way is through persuasion.  The RPT
status to which I aspire will be mine to advertise.  I will boast.  And I will
charge more for my superior service.  But my method of aquiring the business of
my competitors will be through peaceful persuasion, not by the force of
government.

Dan Litwin
San Diego

PS - AMA doctors are the technological decendants of "doctors" who once "cured"
people with blood-letting and LEACHES...