Tuning in an Acoustically-Challenged Venue

Thomas D. Seay, III t.seay@mail.utexas.edu
Sun, 04 Aug 1996 10:42:37 -0600

>I am not lucky enough to get to tune in  concert venues, so my
>acoustic challenges come mostly from tuning in the music store.
<<TEXT DELETED>>
>        But, by far,  the most challenging venue I have ever attempted to
>tune a piano was in 1989, when I was called to a person's house to tune
>an acrosonic from the early 50's.  Not only was this piano almost a whole
>step flat, but she had (no exaggeration) 60 birds of all kinds in that
>house.
<<TEXT DELETED>>
>I think I did a pretty good job considering the environment.
>
>Arnold Schmidt

Hi Arnold,

First of all, let me congratulate you for your perserverance. Tuning under
those circumstances is surely "for the birds" and the fact that you
completed your tuning (with your sanity intact) is quite a "feather in your

Seriously though, we technicians are really put to the test sometimes,
aren't we? It's what our PTG Code of Ethics refers to when it says that we
should always do the best job we can under the circumstances.

Regards,

Tom Seay, RPT

Tom Seay
School of Music