SATs

EugeniaCar@aol.com EugeniaCar@aol.com
Sun, 04 Aug 1996 19:08:07 -0400

In a message dated 96-07-30 23:38:10 EDT, Brent.Fischer@asu.edu writes:

<< However, as a C&A technician for S&S I find it is not an acceptable
 device to use for concert work for two very good reasons. One, the
 majority of Steinway artists feel very uncomfortable meeting the
 technician who is using a electronic aid and secondly the best
 machines have not proven they can measure the most important aspect
 of fine tuning, perception >>

Brent,
I must politely disagree with you and emphatically agree with Barb. Having
been our area "concert" technician for the past eleven years, and having used
the SAT for ten of them, and having tuned for a plethora of Steinway and
others' artists, I can attest that not once has a single artist even
mentioned tuning, even though I am usually there with my SAT finishing up the
tuning when the artist arrives. Consistently, they check the piano for
eveness of touch and fast repetition. Although, it just may be that my being
there satisfies their perception that this technician will take care of
whatever the concert demands.
(Sorry about the lateness of this response. Just got back from a great
vacation!)
Gina Carter