Pianotech lecture

Ray Hopland hoplandr@cadvision.com
Sun, 04 Aug 1996 22:18:03 -0600

Dear Jim;

        If you would like to do a lecture without a video.  I recently did a
one period (1 and a half hour) lecture at the U of C to some senior students.

        My equipment was a well tuned grand, an upright, an upright and
grand action models and my toolkit.

        I first started with an ear test but told them that it was not the
same that they were accustomed to, I had them listen to beat rates, clean
unisons, octaves and chords.  For those that were brave, I had them try and
tune a unison.  After they were done (and it was quite good) I gave the note
a good whack and low and behold the unison was quite out of tune.  That gave
me a good reaction.  We spent quite a bit of time on this part.

        I explained basic piano construction re the soundboard and bridges
as to crown, downbearing etc.  The grand showed the grain of the SB., the
downbearing relationship and the upright showed the crown, ribs and their
function.  Without everyone trying to crawl under the grand.

        The difference between grand and an upright actions was explained
using the action models.  I also explained some of the most common problems
encountered by pianotechs ie. sticking keys, vibrations etc.

        It was a most enjoyable experience and I could have used more time
than I had and I think they got more out of it than if it was a vidio as
questions could be asked at any time.

Regards,

Ray