Let off

Jim pianotoo@imap2.asu.edu
Mon, 5 Aug 1996 10:15:46 -0700 (mst)

To the list:

I've long felt that let-off is one of the most important things we deal
with in regulating grands (or even verticals).  I always try in the
treble to get the closest let-off possible short of having a double
bounce effect.  In the mid-range one needs to consider the string ampli-
tude and make it a little wider so that when the string is in its down-
ward excursion the jack isn't jammed tight when the hammer contacts
the string causing a nasty twang.  The same thing is true in the Bass,
except more so.

The problem that I face often is that, since I usually do the voicing
last, if I have to do any deep shoulder voicing in the treble, it causes
the hammers to lengthen slightly so that the hammers will block on a
pianissimo blow using a soft stiff fingered attack.  Then I have to go
back over the let-off to correct that and then recheck after-touch etc.

I would like to know some of the experiences of others in regard to this.

Jim Coleman, Sr. (AZ)  (who still doesn't know it all.)