Gimmee some advice

Ray Hopland hoplandr@cadvision.com
Mon, 05 Aug 1996 22:04:59 -0600

Mike;

        I would carefully measure the speaking length and diameters of all
the strings, send this information along with a carefully made rubbing to a
string maker who will dsign a new scale for you using Dave Roberts, The
Calculating Technician formulas.  Or send the figures to someone to design
the scale, then sent the paper pattern along with the diameters that you
want to the string maker.  Let the string maker know what dimensions you
want and let them know that if the strings are not to within acceptable
parameters, they will be returned.  Within .002" on the smaller diameter
strings and within .005" on the larger diameter strings.  I measure every
string I recieve and I do this to every piano that I restring and have
always made improvements. It would be a good idea to have the whole piano
calculated, riaht up to note 88 in order th achieve a good balance from the
bass to the tenor\treble.

Hope this helps

Ray