Reyburn CyberTuner: (was SATs)

Dean L. Reyburn, RPT dean@reyburn.com
Tue, 06 Aug 1996 20:20:12 +0000

Ted Simmons writes:
>I've paid pretty close attention to the pianotech pages over the last month
>but I don't remember reading about the Reyburn CyberTuner.  Can someone
>enlighten me?

Well, since Jim mentioned it and Ted asked, I will try to provide "just
the
facts" ;-)

Briefly, Reyburn CyberTuner is a software program which turns a Macintosh
laptop computer into a complete and stand-alone visual tuning system.
RCT was just released on July 17th '96.

What Jim is referring to mainly is the Chameleon 2 (Ch2) component in
RCT.  Ch2 listens to 5 or 6 notes (A's) on the piano and records the
partial
ladders (all the partials needed to aurally tune the piano).  Then it
calculates a "virtual aural tuning" based on equalizing the partial
ladders with virtual octaves (2:1, 4:2, 6:3, and 8:4)  double octaves
(4:1 and 8:2) and 8:1 triple octaves.  The octave widths are based on the
user's preference. There are 10 preset tuning styles, or the user can set
the four aural parameters which control stretch directly.

Chameleon 2 creates tuning records with any tuning style from squeaky
clean octaves and double octaves to super-stretch tunings with very
audible
(but even) beats in the octaves, and everything in between.

The Ch2 tuning records can be used directly with CyberEar, built in to
Reyburn CyberTuner, or can be shared with a MIDI equipped Sanderson Accu-
Tuner.  Ch2 has been arround for about a year now, as a component of
Tuning Manager for Macintosh.

I'm the creator of RCT, and I'd be happy to tell you about the incredible
job the Chameleon 2 and CyberEar do to help you tune a piano, but since
I'm
a little biased,<g>  maybe I better let an RCT user or two comment on
that....

Hope that helps!

-Dean

 Dean L. Reyburn, RPT                       web page: www.reyburn.com