Good News/Bad News

Les Smith lessmith@buffnet.net
Wed, 07 Aug 1996 11:18:15 -0400 (EDT)

First the good news (at least as far as I'm concerned). After an ex-
tended stay in the hospital, I am finally back home recovering from a
severe stroke which initially left me both paralyzed and unable to speak.
Really scary stuff there for a while, especially when the doctors told
me that they doubted that that I would ever fully recover from it's effects.
I didn't take that news too well. In fact I took it so poorly that the
entire staff of the floor I was on sent me a "get well soon" card. And,
when I proved their original dire perdiction wrong and was reeady to be
discharged, the "going home" party they threw for me didn't start until
AFTER I had left. (And is probably still going on!)

How am I doing? I guess that it's all a matter of perspective. Compared
to the way I was a couple of months ago, I still have a long way to go.
However, compared to when I first entered the hospital, I'm something of
a minor miracle. I'm able to get around on my own now (after a fashion)
without benefit of a wheelchair or walker; I'm able to speak again, al-
though I still sound somewhat strange; and I'm able to use my hands and
fingers well enough to manipulate a computer keyboard and mouse. At this
time a piano keyboard is still somewhat beyond me, but I'm working at it!

Although I was unable to respond to them as they came in, many thanks to
all of you who e-mailed me to express your concern and wishes for a speedy
recovery. Believe me, those messages WERE appreciated! Further, my thanks
goes out to BYU, Vince and the late Jack Reeves for making this Pianotech
forum possible. I consider it a distinct privilege to be given the oppor-
tunity to interact with some of the finest piano techmicians in the world
who are so ready and willing to share their knowledge and experience with
others. Simply put, I missed you guys. It's good to be back!

Les Smith
lessmith@buffnet.net

P.S. Oh, yes. The bad news. The bad news, as far as my local competition
is concerned (none of whom are on-line with pianotech), is that I'm back
home and rapidly recovering. To all those "locals" who inquired as to
whether my pianos, business assets and customer list were up for sale, my
response was an emphatic "NO"! I may be down, but I sure as heck am not
out. I'll be back. Soon. They can count on it!

ls