Papps mute for a grand

Rob Kiddell atonal@planet.eon.net
Thu, 08 Aug 1996 08:53:16 +0000

Ted,

	I encounter the same problems with the Papps mute on grands, but rather
than using rubber mutes, I fashioned two wedges from a block of
hammer felt that I have for shimming vertical hammer rails. The felt
is dense enough that you can cut it to shape, and sand the wedge to a
feather edge to get between the tightest trichords. Also, I made the
wide end of the wedge thick enough to snugly fit between an outside
string and a plate strut at the end of a stringing section. Not a
Papps mute, but they work fine (lightweight, too)

Happy Tuning, 8-)
Rob Kiddell
C.A.P.T. Student
P.T.G. Associate