: Re: Strip Mute It?

JIMRPT@aol.com JIMRPT@aol.com
Thu, 08 Aug 1996 17:27:29 -0400

Vince;
 "i have found that starting at A0, and tuning unisons as I go, the piano is
more stable (closer to where you want it when finished)"

  Before becoming a new owner of a SAT I have always taken this comment with
a grain of salt and while I did not disbelieve it, I also did not put much
faith in it.
  I just completed a S&S 'M' and used the SAT exclusively for chipping and
tuning. (the only aural work was some slight touchup in the break and mid
treble). I started with a generic tuning, as stored in the SAT by Dr. Al,
with chipping twice and two tunings. For the third tuning and all subsequent
tunings I used the FAC mode. I must say that I am highly impressed with the
relatively quick stabilizing (for new strings) of the scale. With the
exception of the first chipping, all of my chipping and tuning was done
starting at A0 (no strip muting). The unisons were much closer during second
and third tunings than when strip muted and the stretch seemed to be
progressive instead of every which way (my impression). The final tuning was
this morning about 6am and it was much more solid (same number of tunings)
than it would have been if I had been using strip mutes. Perhaps I was more
careful in my rubbing or tuning because I was experimenting with the SAT, but
I don't think so.
  My initial impression is that your statement about better stability is
right on the money.
Jim Bryant (FL)
p.s. Any thoughts about why this might be true anyone?