Papps mute for a grand

Ted_Sambell@BanffCentre.AB.CA Ted_Sambell@BanffCentre.AB.CA
Thu, 08 Aug 1996 20:37:47 -0600 (MDT)

        Reply to:   RE>Papps mute for a grand
Dear Ted,

The Papp mute was originally designed for overdamper upright pianos,
(miscalled birdcage actions). They reach through  the wires and
hammershanks beautifully, but are unsuitable for grands. The correct way to
use them is like a plectrum, below the hammerheads four or five notes to
one side of the note you are tuning and resting on the hammer rail. squeeze
the tips shut and pluck across the first two unison strings, then insert,
tune the first string to the octave then pluck across the third string and
insert between the third string and the first of the next note. Now tune
the middle string to the first (usually the left) then repeat the move to
the next note, plucking across the first and second strings. The third
string to complete the unison is then tuned before tuning the octave string
of the next note. The way not to use the Papp mute is to go hunting and
poking for the spaces between the strings! Keep the tips sqwueezed together
whenever using it to prevent breaking them and it will last forever. It is
a great tool, though some tuners object to the slight noise  at the initial
impact. If they will be patient and use the Papp mute for a while I am sure
anyone will adjust to this. It makes uprights (verticals?)
so easy to mute, compared to most methods.
As for grands, I do not strip mute, though I have nothing against doing so,
and in fact I find the arguments pro and con irrelevent and unprovable. For
my part I use a rubber mute as made for grands. These are three inches long
by threequarters of an inch wide. If they come with a feather edge I trim
it back about three sixteenths of an inch to somewhat stiffen the edge,
then in use it may be plucked across the strings in a similar manner to
using the Papp mute. I never look at the strings when moving either mute. I
do object to strip muting the upright as it is awkard to do and often
results in damage to the dampers. If anyone simply cannot adjust to the
sound made by the Papp mute, an alternative is the double mute made by Ken
Burton of Calgary, Canada.

Sincerely, Ted Sambell
Ted_Sambell@banffcentre.ab.ca