Strip Mute It?

Dave Swartz, RPT dms2000@PioneerPlanet.infi.net
Fri, 09 Aug 1996 01:08:50 -0400 (EDT)

At 12:29 PM 8/8/96 +0000, you wrote:
>    John Piesik wrote:
>    "To strip mute or not to strip mute?  That is the question."
>
>    When you're using your SAT how many of you strip mute the entire piano?
>    or any portion of it?
>
>   i have found that starting at A0, and tuning unisons as I go, the piano
>is more stable (closer to where you want it when finished) when I finish
>a pitch raise, and for that matter, the final tuning.  I used to
>strip mute when I first learned about it in the late '70's, but there
>was an old-timer in our area who always said that he thought tuning unisons as
>you go was better. I have found that to be true.
>

>vince mrykalo  rpt
>byu provo utah

Hi gang,

        Allow me a couple cents..I agree with Vince that the piano is much
more stable tuning unisons as you go.  My approach is somewhat different
though.  Taking into consideration the crown and downbearing ramifications
of tuning, I believe it's important to equalize the tuning as best as
possible.  Once the pitch is real close (no brainer), I'll strip mute the
center section, tune the temperament center strings with SAT and ear (best
of both worlds) and complete the section top and bottom.  The strip mute
then is removed one note at a time as I tune the left string only (starting
from bottom up) to the top of section.  Then I go back and tune the right
string, checking that the unison is indeed stable, completing center
section.  I then tune the treble section, up one note at a time using a
single wedge mute, pulling unisons as I go...(you know, tune left string,
center string, then right string...sometimes the other way around because of
the strings sharing the same hitch pin does change things on some pianos).
Then down to the bass...working from the bi-chords down to A-1 (not steak
sauce!) tuning the bi's unisons as we go.  I then check the treble
again...hearing any discrepancies then up to the x-treble...one note at a
time pulling unisons.

        Sounds like alot of moving around, but like anything else, get in a
groove and you can make good time...usually takes me around 35-40 minutes
when I'm cookin...then you can get real picky and achieve the results of a
concert tuning versus a pitch shift.

        OK, you can have your couple of cents back now...thanks...

Dave Swartz, RPT