WEST System (was: Question about high gloss finishes #4)

McNeilTom@aol.com McNeilTom@aol.com
Mon, 12 Aug 1996 12:10:29 -0400

Jim Bryant and List:

The WEST System (I think this is a registered trademark) as advocated,
researched, and distributed by Gougeon Brothers has nothing to do with PEG.
 WEST is the acronym for Wood Epoxy Saturation Technique (or is it Treatment?
I don't have the propaganda at hand).  WEST System products are now carried
by Pianotek.

Gougeon Brothers have done a great deal of engineering research and testing
as their retail line of epoxy products has evolved.  The line features
several basic resin/hardener combinations and additives to control just about
any parameter you might want to control (viscosity, ultimate strength,
bonding compatibilty, cure times, appearance, machinability, hardness,
density, ultra-violet stability, lubricity, etc.)  They also purvey all the
tools you might want for working with epoxies.

Much of Gougeon's work has been in developing ultra-light, high-strength
structures in wood, especially high-performance sailing boats.  I have known
these guys for 20 years, and their products, too.  I endorse them without
reservation.  I don't have their number handy, but you can get it from Ma
Bell's Directory Assistance for Bay City, Michigan.  Do get their catalog and
(quarterly?) newsletter.

  -     Tom McNeil, RPT     -
Vermont Piano Restorations