Accelerated action

Avery Todd ATodd@UH.EDU
Mon, 12 Aug 1996 15:55:38 -0500

Jim, Keith & others,
   Believe me, I'm well aware of the half-round bearings instead of felts. <G>
I hate to level those keyboards!!
   My main question, I guess, is does it have any effect on the playing of
the piano, i.e. in repetition, trills, etc.? To me, the words, accelerated
action would imply that it does.
   Thanks.

>>List,
>>   Please excuse me showing my ignorance here. I should have found this out
>>years ago.
>>   Could someone explain exactly what an accelerated action is and how it
>>works? How is it different from the "normal" action?
>>   Could having it or not affect the cost of a used S & S?
>>   Thanks for any help.
>>
>>Avery Todd, RPT
>
>Dear Avery, List,
>
>I may be joining you in your claim to ignorance here, Avery, by answering
>your post.
>
>Two things come to my mind: 1) the balance rail bearings, rather than
>balance rail punchings, are an indication of an "accelerated action", and
>2) the method of weighing the keys is different.  On an Steinway
>"accelerated action", the factory starts at the balance rail and works its
>way out towards the end of the key rather than putting the keyleads out
>towards the ends of the keys first.
>
>Waiting to feel the heat        :-)
>
>Keith A. McGavern, RPT

Avery Todd, RPT