Accelerated action (cheep)

A440A@aol.com A440A@aol.com
Mon, 12 Aug 1996 22:42:36 -0400

 Greetings,

First!    I know the factory is watching, and can answer all of these
questions, but before they do,  us chickens oughta take our best peep at it.
 Here's mine.................

The question has arisen as to the value of the Steinway accelerated action.
 Specifically, does it make a difference?. Is it an advertising ploy? Do you
have to be a really accomplished pianist to tell the difference?  What
exactly is meant by accelerated?

       On paper,  it appears that  the half round fulcrum introduces a rising
rate to the geometry, i.e., the amount of capstan movement per unit of key
depression is greater at the end of the keystroke than at the beginning, as a
result of the fulcrum   moving  proximally  during the key travel.

      It seems this would have the effect of  "gearing" the action parameters
so that the initial movement would benifit from the greatest leverage
advantage, and the final degrees of keystoke would enjoy "taller gears" for
maximum velocity.

      The patent, I believe,  calls for the lead  to be located as close as
possible to the fulcrum.

      In practise, I have heard no particular advantage noted by performers
when comparing pre 1934  Steinways to the later models.  Several of the
studios at the school have early and late model instruments side by side,
 and  half of the preferred pianos are the non-accelerated actions.

go figure...

Regards,
Ed Foote