Killing Dead Pianos, or Not

FirTree@aol.com FirTree@aol.com
Tue, 13 Aug 1996 01:47:07 -0400

For several years, I held the keys to empty buildings for a large real estate
holding company. They paid me a monthly retainer to be available if someone
wanted to look at their buildings. One of these was a former department
store, where I began to store pianos that I hauled away for parts, along with
a couple of potential rebuilds. When the building finally sold,  I had to
dispose of them. Some went to my mother-in-law's garage, but thirteen had
come to their final hour. We (my Dad and I) pulled all the actions (four used
for a reshaping class!), popped of the castors, grabbed the pedals, unscrewed
the keybeds, knocked off the sides (with 1 or 2 hits of a sledgehammer),
leaving the strung backs.

The look on the guy's face at the landfill's gate was worth the price,
though. I told him I had thirteen piano carcasses. Ka-whang! Thunk!
Ka-piiinnnngggg!

BTW, it isn't worth getting the plate out for scrap, I did that once. Took me
more than a day and netted me a whopping $1.75.

I will also say, however, that I disagree with the contention that ALL old
uprights deserve a decent burial, today. Caveat: weather in western
Washington is much kinder to pianos than other parts of the country. I find
some pianos ultimately rebuildable. When I look at one with extreme
sentimental value, I am inclined to reccomend doing more work than otherwise.
Many of these people will never part with these pianos, and if we do a good
job, future generations will rise and call us blessed with foresight for
giving them a good instrument.

Nearly every piano tech I have ever met started out as a perfectionist.
Welcome to the real world. For every new piano sold, ten used pianos change
hands. To be intelligent business people, we need to get a piece of both of
those markets. I tune new pianos for a dealer; I do appraisals and estimates
for buyers of used instruments; I move pianos; I rebuild; I do the 'make it
so you can tune it' partial jobs. Concerned about quality? You bet, as much
as I can. In the end, though, you aren't selling your work, you are selling
happy customers.

Dave Stocker, RPT