Strip Muting & Wandering Pitches- Get comfortable.

David ilvedson ilvey@a.crl.com
Mon, 12 Aug 1996 23:07:09 +0000

> Date:          Mon, 12 Aug 1996 16:43:51 -0400
> From:          TunerJeff@aol.com
> Subject:       Re: Strip Muting & Wandering Pitches- Get comfortable.
> To:            pianotech@byu.edu

> Dear Charles,
>    Thank-you for the kind reception of my latest novel.     ;>)
>
>      I agree that one of the advantages to stripping (...stop that
> snickering!) is the chance to fully hear and re-check the entire range of the
> piano before pulling the unisons in. The opportunity to correct
> single-strings, rather than entire unisons,  can be a real time-saver.
>      Your point that other methods are as good (...or better) is also true. I
> should have made that clearer in my post, too.
>

> Thank-you!
> Jeff
> TunerJeff @ aol.com

Dear List,

Some years ago at the National in Sacramento I took a class by
Ron Berry about tips and such.  One was strip muting every other
unison with one strip then coming back and strip muting what was
left.  Why is it great?  Because when you come back to do
unisons you pull out one strip and tune just those strings that
were exposed.  Then go back and pull the other strip and
reverse your pattern as you go up.  The pattern is easy to
follow once you've tried it.  It might even change the tension a
little more evenly through out the scale.  Try it, you'll like
it.
Thanks Ron for the tip, even though I don't strip mute
anymore...

David ilvedson, RPT
Pacifica, CA